► Aluminium recycling;
If you recycle one tonne of aluminium you will save:
• 13,300 kWh of electricity • 4 tonnes of chemical product • 5-8
tonnes of aluminium ore• Turning old cans into new cans saves 95%
of the energy needed to make new cans.
• 95% less air pollution is produced.
• One recycled aluminium can saves enough electricity to run a
computer or a TV for three hours!
• Most of the bauxite ore used to make aluminium cans is mined in
the tropics including tropical forests. Recycling aluminium helps
save tropical forests.
► Glass recycling;
If you recycle glass:
• Recycling a glass jar saves enough energy to light a bulb for
• Recycling glass saves 25-32% of the energy used to make it.
► Did you know:
• It takes 26.5 litres of crude oil to produce one car tyre
• 75% of a tree harvested for paper does not wind up as a paper
• Around the world, toothbrushes represent over 45 million
kilogrammes of plastic waste each year
• 27% of the food produced for human consumption in the US is
thrown out as waste
• Incinerating 10,000 tons of waste creates 1 job, landfilling it
creates 6 jobs, and recycling it creates 36 jobs.
► Energy Savings
Percentage of energy saved by using recycled instead of raw
materials to manufacture:
• Glass 40%
• Newspaper 40%
• Steel 60%
• Plastic 70%
• Aluminium 95% (75% when recycled back into aluminium cans)
Care about recycling?
So do we.